Tuesday 25 June 2013

Real Media Texts - Music Video



The grid below shows different music videos, by different artists who create music is different genres. It allows me to see various different aspects in each video, which makes it easy for me to compare each one, for example I compare the genre of each one with the setting of the video, this will allow me to see what the typical conventions of settings are for each genre, something I will need to take into consideration when creating my video. It most importantly allows me to see the number of shots used in each video, which when compared to the different genres shows me a lot about how many shots I should use in my video.

Video
The Narrative
Settings
Number of shots
Transitions used
Representations seen?
Genre of music
Duration
Still Into You -Paramore
Celebration/Party situation with members of the band.
Mansion house, Garden, Performance hall, Bedroom.
191
Fades, mainly standard cuts
Gender – Female surrounded in beginning with feminine coloured items in a bedroom, males in video seen on bikes, can be seen as stereotypical for this gender.
Pop
3:41

I Was A Fool –
Tegan and Sara
Follows break up of main female character.
In bedroom/house environment, some scenes on balcony/ in garden.
116
A large amount of fades are used when the setting or scene changes.
Gender – the female in the clip is upset and heartbroken showing how women are stereotypically seen to be weak and venerable.
Alternative/Pop
3:31

Vampire Weekend – Diane Young
Dinner party, celebration event.
Dinner Table, Garden.
72
Pans are used to go from character to character even though it is a continuous shot, mainly standard jump cuts are used.
Age – most of the people in the video are young adults, the fact they are partying and drinking loosely backs up the fact that young people drink and party.
Alternative/Indie
2:44

No comments:

Post a Comment